In January 2020, the Commonwealth Transportation Board re-affirmed the transportation vision. Please check the pages on the Mid-term Needs, Long-term Risks & Opportunities, and Strategic Actions to see how OIPI is making progress towards that vision.
Our Transportation Vision
The first critical piece is Commonwealth Transportation Board's (CTB) vision, goals, and objectives. These goals and objectives inform the identification and prioritization of transportation needs and help identify long-term risks and opportunities.
Commonwealth Transportation Board’s Vision
In January 2020, the Commonwealth Transportation Board re-affirmed the transportation vision, which is:
- Virginia's transportation system will be Good for Business, Good for Communities, and Good to Go. Virginians will benefit from transportation system advances Virginia businesses, attracts a 21st century workforce, and promotes healthy communities where Virginians of all ages and abilities can thrive.
Guiding Principles describe an organization’s beliefs and philosophy about quality assurance and performance improvement. The principles guide the organization’s actions and approach.
|GP 1: Optimize Return on Investments Implement the right solution at the right price, striving to meet current needs while advancing long-term prosperity and livability.|
|GP 2: Ensure Safety, Security, and Resiliency Provide a transportation system that is safe for all users, responds immediately to short-term shocks such as weather events or security emergencies, and adapts effectively to long-term stressors such as sea level rise.|
|GP 3: Efficiently Deliver Programs Deliver high-quality projects and programs in a cost-effective and timely manner.|
|GP 4: Consider Operational Improvements and Demand Management First Maximize capacity of the transportation network through increased use of technology and operational improvements as well as managing demand for the system before investing in major capacity expansions.|
|GP 5: Ensure Transparency and Accountability, and Promote Performance Management Work openly with partners and engage stakeholders in project development and implementation. Establish performance targets that consider the needs of all communities, measure progress towards targets. Adjust programs and policies as necessary to achieve the established targets.|
|GP6: Improve Coordination Between Transportation and Land Use Encourage local governments to plan and manage transportation-efficient land development by providing incentives, technical support, and collaborative initiatives.|
|GP 7: Ensure Efficient Intermodal Connections Provide seamless connections between modes of transportation to harness synergies.|
Goals and Objectives
The VTrans Goals support the VTrans Vision. They are critical in measuring progress towards the Vision and identifying transportation needs that can help us achieve it.
|Goal A - Economic Competitiveness and Prosperity |
Invest in a transportation system that supports a robust, diverse, and competitive economy
|Goal B – Accessible and|
Increase opportunities for people and businesses to efficiently access jobs, services, activity centers, and distribution hubs
|Goal C – Safety for All Users |
Provide a safe and secure transportation system for passengers and goods on all travel modes
|Goal D – Proactive|
Maintain the transportation system in good condition and leverage technology to optimize existing and new infrastructure
|Goal E – Healthy Communities|
and Sustainable Transportation Communities
Support a variety of community types promoting local economies and healthy lifestyles that provide travel options, while preserving agricultural, natural, historic, and cultural resources
Progress Towards VTrans Vision and Goals
- January 15, 2020: The CTB adopted a policy to identify transportation needs and accepted transportation needs developed based on this policy. The identified transportation needs are utilized to screen funding requests for the SMART SCALE program and prioritize funding requests received for VDOT's Revenue Sharing Program.
- March 17, 2021: The CTB adopted the policy for the prioritization of the VTrans Mid-term Needs. The Priority locations established based on this policy are being studied and solutions are being developed.
- December 6, 2021: The CTB adopted the Policy for Development and Monitoring of VTrans Risk & Opportunity Register. The 2021 VTrans Risk Register has identified 19 risks and opportunities . OIPI will provide an annual update on the identified risks and opportunities.
- December 6, 2021: The CTB adopted 16 Strategic Actions that will inform OIPI, VDOT, and DRPT business plans.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Looking for more specific information about VTrans? Find more information on our Frequently Asked Questions page here: https://vtrans.org/get-involved/frequently-asked-questions